Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Another LFS Bites the Dust

Yuyi has closed. It's sad. In the past three years, I have seen more than five lfs that I frequent closed down. Yuyi has been special because that's where I was first introduced to african rift lakes cichlids and in particular that's where I first laid my eyes on and bought a frontosa. It was a 5" burundi costing $50. Ironically it did not make it past the next day cos it committed suicide by jumping out of the tank. A tank full of the boisterious malawis mbunas and peacocks also bought from the same shop. Rather that being discouraged, I was spurred into finding out more about this fish and as the saying goes, the rest was history.

The closure of Yuyi has once again reinforced the fact that it's not easy to make it in the aquarium business here in Singapore. With a few notable successes such as C328, QH, Rainbow, CF, a lot of the smaller shops just can't survive in the long run.

As a result of the closure, the shop was clearing the items at good discount. I almost brought home a 2 X 3ft (partitioned)tanks. Luckily my common sense prevailed. End up buying a small fully equipped (light and filter) nano tank. Have since brought it to office and am keeping crystal red shrimps...more of that in my next posts.

Anyway all the best to George, owner of Yuyi in his future endeavours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home